Self-care is something that society can make us view as a luxury as opposed to a necessity. You can practice meditation and yoga and get a facial, but if you’re not laying a basic foundation such as a good diet and adequate sleep, then you’ll most likely find yourself burnt out and unable to cope with day-to-day living.
What Is Self-Care?
Self-care describes a conscious act one takes in order to promote their own physical, mental, and emotional health. There are many forms of self-care and will differ between individuals. Self-care is vital for building resilience toward external, unplanned stressors. If you take care of yourself, you’ll be better equipped to handle any obstacles you may face!
Below, we’ve listed some ideas on how you can practice self-care -
- Start the day with water.
- Read a book.
- Have a healing cup of tea.
- Watch the sky.
- Create a deliberate habit, and make a routine out of something small in your life e.g wear something green on a Wednesday.
- Start your day with a mini-meditation.
- Declutter your home.
- Get away from your screen for an hour per day.
- Be selective with who you follow on social media. Get rid of anything or anyone that is toxic.
- Dance! Put on your favourite song and have fun.
- Pick your favourite healthy meals and regularly incorporate them into your diet.
- Sit somewhere green. Be still.
- Laugh. Watch or read something that you find funny.
- Help someone. Carry a bag, help someone cross the street, open a door.
- Check in with yourself and your emotions. Sit quietly and just name without judgment what you’re feeling.
- Journal your thoughts.
- Spend time with a pet.
- Have a chat with someone you don’t know, e.g at the bus stop or at the shop.
- Have some alone time. Do something that you love.
- Practice exercise.
- Plan something exciting - whether it be a holiday, a day out or a coffee with a friend. It’s nice to have something to look forward to.
- Create something. Paint, draw, sing, make, stitch.
Remember, by taking care of yourself, you’re then able to share your joy and beautiful energy with others. Watch the positivity grow!
Sources: The Tiny Buddha, Wanderlust, This Conscious Life, Very Well Mind.